2008年8月22日星期五

sth about Legacies ^_^

A Personal Response


There is an example of each of the three generations --- my uncle's family.


My uncle's family immigrated into United States many years ago when he was a little child. His parents are the generation 1: adults born and raised in another country. They born in China and got married, had child, then immigrated into United States. And their son --- my uncle, born in China and came to the new country with their parents before 18 and has gone through the school system of United States, so he is the typical generation 1.5. In addition, my uncle's wife is a local American who born and grew up in United States . And my uncle's son is generation 2, but not typical, Because he born in United States and his father born in another country, but his mother born in United States.


This is an interesting family which is a good example for our text.


When my uncle's family immigrated into United States, my uncle was so young so that he accepted the new school system and adapt to the new life quickly, eventually, his thinking and behaviours were also became so "Americanized" which let him get along with American children well. Then, most of his friends are American. He also speaks Chinese with his parents, but he can't read and write it. So interesting! Moreover, although his parents immigrated into United States many years, but they preferred to speak Chinese and make Chinese friends. And their grandson --- my uncle's son, he can't understand any Chinese at all and he is an entire American, as what we say "ABC", "banana".
Today, all of them are American, but become real American with defferent speed.

1 条评论:

Terry 说...

Dniel~ i read your stuff in the morning of Saturday~
i'm reviewing my English and trying to wake my brain up now~
haha.. you are such a nice narrator~ (p.s hope the example is true hahaha...) Anyway, well done.